Average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars from 354 reviews. 4.8
Among all the pests you can have in your home, millipedes have to be among the most disgusting. They can inadvertently cause an infestation and have you living among skinny monsters. In this guide, we will discuss how to identify millipedes, how dangerous they are to humans and pets, and how to get rid of them.
What are millipedes?
Millipedes are arthropods, typically ranging from 2 to 280 mm and exhibiting two pairs of legs per body segment. They also have a pair of antennae on their head.
The life cycle of millipedes begins with eggs laid by females in moist soil or decaying plant matter. After hatching, the young millipede goes through several molting stages before reaching adulthood. During each molt, they gain additional body segments and more pairs of legs.
When it comes to mating, male millipedes transfer sperm packets to the female using specialized reproductive appendages called gonopods. They then deposit the fertilized eggs into a small nest created by the female within her chosen environment.
Millipedes commonly feed from foliage and woody debris, yet some varieties may also devour living plants or fungi. As disgusting as they can be, these creatures play an essential role in breaking down dead plant matter into nutrients that can be used by other organisms. But they can also damage sprouting seeds, seedlings, and ripening fruit.
Millipedes prefer dark and damp environments where they can hide from predators during daylight hours while remaining close to food sources at night when foraging is safer for them.
Are millipedes dangerous?
Some millipedes are venomous, but generally not to humans. Still, a bite from a millipede will surely cause pain, swelling, and other discomforts. Some tropical species of millipedes have stronger chemicals and will cause a higher amount of pain and itching.
They don’t carry any diseases and will hardly destroy the foundations of your home like termites. Millipedes can be detrimental to your garden and plants though.
If you find one or a couple of millipedes they will likely curl up into tight spirals to protect themselves from harm.
Millipedes can be detrimental to plants and gardens, though. They rarely invade homes in numbers that require pest control, however, that doesn’t mean it can never happen.
Why do I have a millipede problem?
There are several reasons why millipedes will feel lured to take upon your residence. You must understand these if you want to tackle your millipede problem.
- Moisture: Millipedes will gather in damp environments often. They are attracted to them.
- Vegetation: Given it’s their main source of nutrients if you have a ton of vegetation or a bog garden, millipedes will feel attracted.
- Clutter: Dark is the preferred set for millipedes. They are a shelter and hiding place for them.
- Temperature: Millipedes are cold-blooded, thus, they will be more likely to appear in warm temperatures.
- Structural Openings: Millipedes will easily enter through any available openings like gaps and windows.
Where will I find millipedes?
Millipedes can be found in a variety of outdoor habitats, including:
- Gardens: Millipedes can be found among plants and flowers due to the presence of decaying organic material.
- Mulch beds: These provide an ideal environment for millipedes as they retain moisture and offer ample hiding spots.
- Piles of leaves: As a source of both food and shelter, leaf piles attract millipedes looking for sustenance and protection from predators.
- Rocks and stones: Damp spaces beneath rocks create perfect living conditions for these creatures who prefer darkness and humidity.
In addition to their outdoor habitats, millipedes may also make their way indoors through cracks in foundations or gaps. Basements, crawlspaces, and bathrooms – any area with increased moisture levels – may become temporary homes for these multi-legged invaders.
How do I get rid of millipedes?
If you’re dealing with a millipede infestation, it’s crucial to enlist the help of a trusted pest control company. Professionals have extensive experience, knowledge, and skills in pest control and only they possess the necessary tools for total infestation elimination.
Phenom Pest Protection is an excellent choice when seeking effective millipede control services. As a local, family-owned business committed to offering phenomenal service and results, Phenom Pest Protection provides customized treatments tailored to your property’s specific needs.
To learn more about our effective millipede control services or schedule an appointment with one of our skilled technicians, call Phenom Pest Protection today.
How can I prevent millipedes in the future?
To effectively prevent millipedes from infesting your home and garden, it is essential to take proactive measures that address their preferred living conditions.
- Maintain Proper Moisture Levels: Millipedes thrive in damp environments. Ensure the drainage is adequate around your property by installing gutters, downspouts, and French drains as needed.
- Eliminate Clutter: Keep basements clean, dry, and free of unnecessary items. Store firewood off the ground and away from your home’s exterior walls.
- Clean Up Decaying Plant Matter: Removing leaf litter, grass clippings, mulch piles, or dead plants will help deter them from settling in your yard.
In addition to these preventive measures, you can create physical barriers by sealing any cracks or crevices on the exterior of your home with caulk. Also, installing door sweeps on all entry doors to block potential entry points would be useful.
Phenom Pest Protect can help you stop a millipede problem easily and affordably with our comprehensive home pest protection and commercial pest control solutions. Contact us today for a free quote and get started.
Got my first service done today and was happy to see that not only did I get a great deal, but they did everything they told me they were going to do, and they were right on time!! Heather did my service and she did a great job! Highly recommend this company if you like working with organized and reliable people who have a vision for growing a company through customer service! “PHENOMenal!!”
Phenom Pest Protection received an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars from 354 reviews.
Discovering an ant colony in your home can seem insignificant, especially when ants aren’t known to cause the same degree of damage as rodents or termites. What homeowners need to know about ants is that they can still cause significant damage to your property – and...
Mosquitoes are an unavoidable nuisance – whether you’re trying to relish a serene evening in your backyard or create a comfortable, pest-free environment for your customers. In Baltimore and surrounding Maryland suburbs, mosquito activity typically peaks during the...
Whether it's tiny fire ants invading your kitchen, or large carpenter ants creeping around your bathroom, an ant infestation can quickly turn into a genuine issue. They are capable of stinging, contaminating food, and damaging wood or drywall. The most common ants in...