Tired of fighting ants day in and day out? Ants are a common and persistent problem in Columbia. Some days it can feel like ants return in greater numbers after every effort to get them out. Here are some tips for ant prevention and elimination.
Ants And Their Problems
There are many different species of ant in Columbia, and each presents its own unique problems. Here are a few of the most common.
- Carpenter Ants. Carpenter ants are larger than other ants, with reddish-brown coloration. You may only see one or two carpenter ants at a time, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t more nearby. Carpenter ants live in tunnels built inside wood. They’re problematic because they often live inside your walls and slowly destroy the wooden structures of your home.
- Fire Ants. Fire ants are red or brown and very small, but they have a huge impact. Though we usually refer to them as bites, fire ants actually sting. Their stings are quite painful, and often if you get too close to a colony, you’ll receive several stings at once. This can lead to allergic reactions such as swelling, difficulty breathing, and rashes.
- Odorous Ants. Odorous house ants are black ants often found invading kitchens. Their problem is listed right in their name, when crushed, they release a foul odor that lingers in the air. Odorous house ants are also problematic because there are often a large number of them, and they can be quite difficult to get rid of.
- Pharaoh Ants. Pharaoh ants are also known to appear in large numbers. They are a lighter tan color and mostly a nuisance pest. Pharaoh ants are great at budding, which is when an ant colony splits into two separate colonies in order to survive an attack. This means that do-it-yourself attempts to get rid of them often fail.
10 Tips For Ant Control
Here are some general ant control tips that should help reduce the numbers and avoid attracting any of the above ant species.
- Store food in airtight containers made of hard plastic or glass.
- Never leave fruits, vegetables, or even pet food sitting out overnight.
- Clean the kitchen every night.
- Clean under appliances like the microwave and fridge.
- Wash all dishes before heading to bed.
- Store trash in containers with sealable lids.
- Install door sweeps on all doors.
- Repair water leaks.
- Check screens for holes and tears that might be letting ants in.
- Inspect the exterior of your home for other entry points.
The Number One Tip For Ant Removal
The above tips are helpful ways to avoid attracting ants. However, once ants get in your home, it can be incredibly difficult to get rid of them on your own. This is because of their large numbers, their quick breeding, and their ability to divide the colony to escape attack.
Because of this, your best option for ant protection is to call Phenom Pest Protection. We have years of experience taking care of pests. We can identify the species of pest, determine the cause of the infestation, and create a treatment plan for easy removal and prevention.
Don’t let ants become your unsolvable problem. Instead, reach out to the professionals for help. We want to clear ants out of your Columbia home so you can enjoy your space with peace of mind.